Whether you've never heard of it before or you've been a fan for years, our how to bet on eSports guide will provide you with all the information you need on eSports betting sites, eSports games, and eSports live betting. We provide you with the basics and expert tips on how you can make the most of your wagers and the best places to find them.
What is eSports?
Before you can bet on eSports, you need to know what eSports is. The word itself stands for electronic sports and it is a form of competitive video gaming. The industry has seen a huge surge is esports betting in the past number of years and it encompasses a wide range of games and genres so there's something for everyone. The most common game genres are first-person shooters (FPS), multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA), fighting, and real-time strategy. The most popular games are Dota 2, LoL (League of Legends), and CS:GO (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
Players of these games can take part in online competitions and there are plenty of major tournaments that take place around the world and online. These attract audiences in the millions and there are special streaming sites where you can watch all the action and place your bets.
Things to Remember When You Bet on eSports
Before you part with your hard-earned cash, you need to understand what the betting odds you'll find at eSports betting sites mean and how they work. Just like playing games like CS:GO and Dota 2, betting on these games can have its ups and downs too. If you want to make money from eSports betting you have to be prepared to put in the work and learn about the different games, leagues, teams, and more.
Bet on eSports: Different Types of Markets
Like regular sports betting, there are different types of markets available for eSports too. These are explained below.
- Moneyline: A bet on eSports this means picking the team you think will win the match and placing your money on them.
- Handicap: Handicap betting in eSports is similar to standard sports betting where the bookmaker gives the lower ranked side an advantage and the higher ranked team with a disadvantage. If you bet on the team with a positive handicap they have to win the match.
- Totals: This is where you place your bet on a number of specified events in a game over or under the amount set by the bookmaker. In eSports, totals vary depending on the game. For Dota 2 and LoL this is kills and in CS:GO it's rounds.
- Outright Betting: This is where you bet on the overall outcome of a particular event. This could be the overall winner of Dota 2 in The International. These markets can offer more value as the team you pick has to win multiple games over a longer period.
Choosing eSports Betting Sites
There are a number of things you should check for when looking at eSports betting sites. Our expert reviews will help you choose the site that is best for you, but below we have some of the things you need to consider.
- Availability: While eSports stadiums and arenas sell out around the world, not all bookmakers offer betting options. A few online sportsbooks list the major tournaments as specials or create temporary categories for eSports events. It is important to make sure the site you choose has a dedicated eSports section on their website and all the betting markets you want.
- Variety: When you bet on eSports there are a few major games that are always available. These include Dota 2, LoL, Starcraft II, and CS:GO. If there is a tournament in any of these games you are sure to find betting markets. There are other games and tournaments too including Hearthstone, Super Smash Bros, and more. Choosing eSports betting sites that offer more variety is a great idea. Some sites give odds on things such as qualifying events as well.
- Betting Types: Make sure the site you choose offers the type of bet you are looking for. The most common bets are listed further up on this page. Esports live betting is another feature that is highly recommended and will give you even more betting markets too with changing odds as the games are played.
- Bonus and Promotions: Be sure to check the sign-up bonus and the ongoing promotions that are available. These will help to boost your bankroll and give you more free bets.
- Software & Mobile Betting: More and more people place bets on their mobile devices and you need to make sure the eSports betting website you choose is fully optimized for mobile betting. Some sites offer a dedicated mobile app while others have a fully optimized website.
- Customer Support: If you need any help or advice the customer support team should be available to help. The best sites offer 24/7 support via live chat, email, and toll-free telephone. International sites will also offer support in a number of languages.
- Esports Live Betting: Live betting is always a great choice and you get even more markets and the odds change as the tournaments are played out. Some sites also offer live streaming so you can watch the games being played in real time too.
- Banking Options: You need to make sure there are plenty of banking methods available including e-wallets, and debit and credit card. Some sites also allow you to place your bets using bitcoin. Be sure to check the withdrawal times too. You don't want to have to wait weeks to get your hands on your winnings.
Remember our eSports betting sites reviews will help you find the site that is best for you and you can get a great sign up bonus as well as ongoing promotions when you bet on eSports too.